Monday, September 13, 2010

in the words of Dora the Explorer

“We did it! lo hicimos!”

C’mon all you mamas – you know you’re singing the rest of the song now.

In all seriousness, we have parted with our much beloved but much problem-causing Volkswagon.  The dear girl will forever hold a special place in our hearts.  It is, after all, the car I drove back in my single days in DC and it is, in fact, the car I drove to a certain Metro station to meet a certain young man nine years ago.

Where I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Our very first first date I was supposed to meet Marcus at the Ballston Metro Station.  I waited outside the station for nearly two hours.  He was waiting inside the station.  Who doesn’t pop their head out of the train station to see if someone’s waiting up there? It was fated from the start – there’s no other explanation as to why I would have sat there in this car outside of a Cosi Sandwich Bar for that long.

And yes, we had three first dates because all three were total and complete disasters in their own rights – involving not only protracted wait times but also ill-fitting suits, misunderstandings, and yes, projectile vomiting.

 9_11_10 01

goodbye sweet prince.  you have been a faithful companion for many years.

i’m not too ashamed to admit that i did shed a couple tears as marcus drove away in the jetta – blame the pregnancy hormones.

9_11_10 02

and then he came home with this monster…

the MV…

the Swagger Wagon…

the latest addition to the Van Clan…

9_11_10 06

I must publicly thank my friends Anne, Jen and Lauri for pointing out that I was being prejudiced against the minivan and that it would, in fact, change my life.

And oh, how it has… even though I’ve driven it a total of 3 times.

Lumbar back support – yes please!

Backup monitor – check!

XM satellite radio – who knew?!

9_11_10 04

Controls on the steering wheel to answer your cell phone – hello hands free!

9_11_10 05

And the space – OH the space – it is, in a word, luxurious.

9_11_10 03

And oh-so-C-L-E-A-N!!! (Seriously, Marcus made Emilia take her shoes off when we rode around in it on Sunday).  Hilar.

9_11_10 07

9_11_10 09

4 comments:

kate's corner said...

HOORAY!!!! This post has given me the chills and I LOVE the Swagger Wag! It's a BEAUTY! And love the color. I mean luxurious! Who Knew??!! The room. Oh the room. And I'm totally feeling being sentimental about the VW and Denise! What an awesome picture of the VW where you can see your reflection. coolness. Congrats again. Can't wait for my MV to meet your's and form a cool clique.

Emilia said...

hahaha - good one. i kinda liked the reflection in that pic as well - totally an accident of course!

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

it's a beauty denise...i do have MV envy from time to time...that space is priceless. Love the color! live the shot of you taking the VW emblem with your reflection! so super cool!!!!!!

amybradley said...

I think you've convinced me - MV will most likely be my next car. Hmmm...well, i guess, when in rome...:>) Totally have a mental image of you sitting at Cosi outside of Ballston - Cole and I ate there frequently before picking Zoe up from school across the street!