Monday was conference day for Emilia's class. The wonderful Ms. Phyllis spent some time with me talking about Emilia's development and achievements in her class. She had a checklist of "skills" - benchmarks that 2 year olds should be reaching/should have reached by this point in the school year.
* Emilia loves being outside on the playground.
* She's VERY in to imaginative play - all about babydolls, playhouses, doll houses, etc.
* Gets the "wiggles" when it comes to circle time... Ms. Phyllis pointed out that sometimes Emilia has a hard time sitting when it's circle time and has to be redirected.
* She's a grunter... she'll grunt sometimes instead of "using her words" to express what she wants/needs. Something we're working on.
* She doesn't really talk much to Ms. Phyllis/Ms. Susan - this was a surprise as she talks about them and what they've said/what she's done with them ALL THE TIME. Hilarious. I guess she saves up all her talking for home. Of course, it's one of the few "all-English" environments she's in - so it may be that she's just spending so much time processing everything that's coming at her she just can't get that much out.
* Her "favorite" (hate that word) friends at school are Robert, Betsy, Ginna, and Jackson J. (total cutie - can't blame her one bit!)
*She could say what her first name is, but not her last. She also said that she's a boy instead of a girl (not words we've practiced at home). Colors and shapes we need to work on - some of them she knew in English, some in Spanish which is fine.
*Can be stubborn (NO WAY!!!) - don't know where she could have gotten that trait from.* Doesn't like to clean up after herself (!!!!) - I don't know anyone else who fits that bill! :) All in all, it was reassuring to hear that our girlie is tracking right along with her peers and doing what she should be doing. She's a happy happy girlie who loves her class, her friends, and her teachers. Ms. Phyllis said she could go 4 days/week next year, but in my opinion, she'll be in school for a LOOONNNGGG time, so we'll stick with 3 days/week.