Saturday, September 18, 2010

do-over

This week’s ballet class was a complete ‘do over’ from last week’s debacle.  Not only were we on time, I’m happy to report we were actually early *gasp* to class so Emilia had plenty of time to get comfy, change and run around.  My shots from the day are not terrific – I didn’t realize it but my camera was on some sort of funky setting I clearly do not know how to use.  Additionally, most of my pictures were taken through the window of the studio door.

Sidenote: This is a far more ‘intensive’ ballet class than her last one.  Last year in the ‘reds’ they were all about organized chaos and just having a good time.  This class they start learning about plies and grande jettes and first position – the whole shebang.  They also do tap.  Had I known all this when I was signing her up I would have kept her in the red group.  Oops.

Emilia was still tentative at the beginning of class (and I’m not ashamed to admit that I was bribing her with a lollipop if she would go in and at least participate a little bit).

Scooting in…

9_17_10 04

a little closer…

9_17_10 05

she made it to the bar!

9_17_10 06

success!

9_17_10 07

mmmm… never mind.

9_17_10 09

9_17_10 10

she’s back!

9_17_10 11

smirk city… again.

9_17_10 12 

9_17_10 13

 here they were supposed to be doing a curtsey and then running and jumping.  clearly someone wants nothing to do with this activity.

Towards the end of class they do a dance to some sort of Disney music (Little Mermaid, I think) and pretend they’re one of the princesses.  This was more up our alley (though she’s never seen any of these movies except for parts of Sleeping Beauty).

9_17_10 17

judging from what maisie is doing (foreground) i’m guessing they’re supposed to be putting on earring and/or necklaces?)

9_17_10 23

9_17_10 24

wait a sec… is that a SMILE?!!!!

*not pictured- emilia plugging her ears while they were all making their tap shoes make ‘popcorn sounds.’ hilarious.

6 comments:

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

yeah emi...i knew you'd get your plie on this time around...i love the "scooting in" sequence:) I feel like this was so aston at soccer...i have no qualms with bribing him next week. at least she ended with a smile...

kate's corner said...

Ha! Was totally thinking about soccer mama Kate. Emi sitting down while the rest are in line cracks me up. The last smile one is precious though. Wow! This is an advanced class for sure! Love the pink though. Better than the red, right? This whole smirk/disinterest thing reminds me of a talk Bruce and I had last night about what to do when the kids are doing activities that they are just not digging (maybe just that particular class, activity in general or whatever). You know? It can be so frustrating as a mom to try to wrangle your kid into participating. I think we've concluded to not worry about it and just let her do whatever (within reason). It's like when you said Marcus was like no icecream if you don't pay attention and such (which still makes me laugh). Not really sure what I'm trying to say here but either way, they're 3, they're out and about trying different and new things and they're supposed to pout and smirk and be non-compliant from time to time :)

Anonymous said...

I love all of your comments. I esp. love the pic of her on her belly kinda watching the other kids. This is such an Emi pose. So glad she had fun toward the end of class.
Totally hearing Anne on her comment. After Ky started gymnastics I am understanding I think the ballet thing wasn't really for her last time. Maybe that is why she always melted down after class. But, wasn't the experience good??? I hope so! Again, this parenting thing is so hard!

amybradley said...

Great pics! I still need to email you the ones I took from the 1st day...

Emilia said...

Don't know what got in to Marcus on Saturday - he was being a soccer nazi if you ask me. Afterwards he was all 'oh yeah, that may have been a little harsh' - ya think buddy? I figure as long as they're doing something it's our job to at least expose them to different activities and then they can say "I'm outta gymnastics" or whatever. But lollipop bribery... here i come! :)

kate's corner said...

yes totally great point about exposure. soccer nazi! ha! i feel like i'm like that sometimes too. regardless, bribery is always the answer :) and you'll find that more and more post babes i promise.