Thursday, February 18, 2010

penance, dia 1

So several of my friends (both bloggers and non-bloggers alike) have either started and/or completed a “365 project” or some variation thereof.  It’s a quite popular thing for people who blog about their children to do.  Basically it entails committing to posting a picture a day for a year or for some time frame.  The latest person I know to do this Anne, Kate’s mama. 

2_17_10 01

In this season of penance and in lieu of giving something up, I’ve decided to take something on and do my own 365 project, except this will be a 40 days project.  I’m hoping to ‘atone’ for my sins of not blogging for so long and letting so many gaps go by.  Today as I watched my baby girl hop up into the car by herself and half buckle herself into her carseat (she can’t do the other half) proudly stating “I do it all my-self!” I had to choke back tears realizing it was yesterday she was this tiny little thing who couldn’t do a thing all herself.  The trite expression that “time flies” when you have children doesn’t do it justice.  Other people tell you to appreciate every second, and you think you are, until you realize you’ve gotten swept up in the minutiae of day to day life and you haven’t really been paying attention.  Time doesn’t fly – it is a blur.  One day you think “oh, I can’t wait until she can fill-in-the-blank”, the next minute you’re clutching you’re baby (who’s not such a baby anymore), and praying for time to just slow down and please let this one second last a little longer.  Time, it seems, is a heartbreaker.

Wednesday was the first day of this jobber… I’m going to be a day behind it seems already.  Wednesdays are a full day for Emilia… school in the morning, followed by an afternoon with Ana, the nanny.  Fortunately I got home early and we got some good playtime in together before it was time to start making dinner.  She spent ages quietly playing with her bracelets – moving them from arm to arm.  Girl loves to accessorize!

2_17_10 04

2 comments:

kate's corner said...

oh man. making me tear up too. but so true. time is a heartbreaker. well said. i'm glad you're taking this on. 40 days! whoa! you can do it though. remember you can always be behind, as long as you have the pictures taken, you know? love the bracelet pic. excited to be seeing more of emi for sure!!!

amybradley said...

Oh gosh - totally making me tear up! Good luck with the project!!