Tuesday, December 9, 2008

picture with santa - HA!

Braving irritated skin and a bit of a drippy nose (due to more teeth I suspect), today Mama Mama and I got Emilia all dressed up and rushed over to South Park to see Santa. No evidence that he was drunk this year (last year the rumors were wild that Santa was boozin'), but of course we were at the mall early (like 10:30 - brutal). We stood and watched as one little girl was finishing getting her picture taken and it seemed that someone was going to be cooperative. Fat chance. The second I started walking her over to see Santa up close she did her kangaroo move when she latches onto you and won't let go for anything in the world. So we left and did a little shopping stopping at Gymboree & Children's Place. After each store we walked by Santa just to get her more familiar with him. Surely we were warming up to the jolly old fellow by now, right? Snack in hand, bears at the ready and juice on standby we stood in line behind a lady who was on her 4th try (!) to get a picture of her daughter with Santa that didn't result in a meltdown (either by her or the daughter - not sure about that). I was confident that maybe this "getting-to-know-you" visit with Santa would turn out to be the "1 and done" trip. No luck. Walked her over to Santa (who was, it must be said, pretty friendly and a nice looking Santa to boot) and melt she did. Even when I sat next to Santa (mortified that I'd have to get my picture taken with my child looking splendid and me in jeans that I'm pretty sure were dirty) she wouldn't even turn around and just clung to me screaming. So, we left. We'll try again tomorrow but of course that means I now have to get her dressed up again. Wish us luck!Don't worry Grandpa - we'll take a better picture of the pretty dress.

We didn't even manage to crack out the camera at the mall so our pictures were taken at home at lunchtime.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah, we've taking kate by a few times to "warm up" to santa. i've been showing her her old pic from last year too. so we'll see. that south park santa is a doll!