Thursday, October 7, 2010

hermanitos update – 33 weeks +

Yikes. 

That’s how I felt leaving this appointment.  All of a sudden reality REALLY kicked in.

My weight and blood pressure at this appointment were both great – whew.

My iron level is still low, but better than it was last week, so the doctor just advised I continue with my vitamins and try to eat as much iron-rich foods as possible.

Today was the first fetal stress-test.  I had to sit there for almost an hour hooked to the monitor because of course the boys were not cooperating.  They had woken me up at 4 a.m. because of their kicking so I knew they were fine.  The nurse recommended I drink some juice on the way in for my appointment next week to wake them up a bit.

I’m at 33 + weeks but when Dr. Lucas measured me today I measured right at 40 weeks. 

That’s right – 40.

Yikes.

He said that in an ideal world they’d like them to stay where they are for another month, but that realistically, they’d be happy with another 2-3 weeks.

Double yikes.

And of course he suggested that I rest whenever Emilia is resting – stay really well hydrated – stay off my feet – the usual.

Triple yikes.

So I went in to complete ‘panic mode’ and picked up the last few items I felt like we needed to have on hand (basically a second bassinet stand was the main thing I felt like I needed to have) and I’ve continued washing newborn stuff.  Thanks to the shower Ozlem and Tracy hosted for me last weekend I at least have diapers to get us through the first week (maybe?).  Marcus’ work colleagues are hosting a shower for us next week, as are our neighborhood friends (we are overwhelmed by everyone’s incredible generosity) so I feel like after all that we’ll be totally set.    I’m going to have Marcus start assembling the swings/bouncy seats tonight (sorpresa corazon! :).  Monday Marcus is off work for Columbus Day holiday so we’ll hit IKEA then since Emilia will be at school.

DSC_1321

because i couldn’t end a post without any pictures – this one of emilia and kyrie was taken a few weeks ago at the greek festival.  like how emi looks so brave and ‘in charge’ – about two seconds later she burst in to tears and wanted off.  i ‘forced’ her to stay on for the ride because i’m just that mean.

4 comments:

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

cute picture of the girls! dang denise...when we start talking weeks it's time to come down and rest/sleep/get massages...but we DON'T! but you especially need to think about just taking it down a notch because you will be thrown a double whammy in mere weeks...can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm teary reading this. I don't think I have ever been so excited to meet two babies in my life (well besides my own kids). These boys hold such a special place in my heart. They were prayed for for a long time.
I know resting is hard but, rest. And stay of ladders you crazy chick!!!!

kate's corner said...

Ha! you're making me laugh about "I'm just that mean." Man I'm mean sometimes too. Thanks for the update. Wow. Countdown is on. Bring it. I'm ready to meet those boys!!

emily rietz said...

you are getting so close - hooray! those boys are so lucky to have you as their mama (and Marcus and Emilia, of course).

Rest up, dude.