Monday, August 16, 2010

los pollitos

We’ve really been making a concerted effort with the Spanish around these parts recently.  I’ve even been going so far as to not answer Emilia when she talks to me until she says whatever she wants in Spanish.  I just felt like the Spanish was getting away from us.  Last summer was awesome because, besides spending 6 weeks in Ecuador where she heard Spanish pretty much non-stop, she went to preschool and hung out with other kids speaking only Spanish.  This summer obviously we were here and I realized just how quickly it can land on the back burner and I REFUSE to have a kid of mine unable to speak the language.

In addition to being the Spanish nazi by day, I’ve also taken to singing her songs in Spanish at night.  (We’ve had to change up the bedtime routine as a result – it was just getting ridiculous).   So now it’s one book, two songs, and done.  Unfortunately for Emilia, I don’t know that many Spanish-language lullabies.  One that I do know, and that pretty much every Spanish-speaking child in the world learns at one point or another is “Los Pollitos” (The Little Chicks).  It’s a sweet little song and over the weekend Emilia started singing it to herself just as she’s playing – HURRAH!  Please forgive the little bit of singing/prompting I do in this video.

don’t even care that she’s tone deaf – as long as my girl can speak the language.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how Emi sings, at such a volume, whenever she plays. It's so "her"

kate's corner said...

how interesting re: the whole spanish thing. and cool too about spanish speakers at school. love the song, but my favorite part is when she ask you to build a house with her. too sweet.