Wednesday, March 4, 2009

not-so-well visit

Today Emilia was scheduled for her 18 month well visit, but instead it was switched to a sick visit. Yesterday morning when I picked her up from the Y Miss Jean noted that she was looking rather under-the-weather. When I looked at her, sitting next to buddy Kate, Emi clearly was feeling ill. When I brought her home her temp was a whopping 101.9. By the afternoon it was up to 103 and at 7 pm she started shivering uncontrollably and her hands were purple because they were so cold. So after bundling her up in jammies, sleeping sack, poncho and wrapping her up in a blanket (this for the child who doesn't like to wear her coat outside) I called the doctor's office. They were worried about the shivering but it stopped after about a half hour. She went to bed at normal time but was up at 11 pm and was inconsolable which means she got to sleep with Mama in the guest bed. She was up again at 4 am asking for water and got another dose of Tylenol since her fever had gone back up and at 9 am we were at Dr. Walker's office.

She's been diagnosed with hand-foot-and mouth disease which produces nasty little blisters on the roof of her mouth (which she already has) and the most horrific rash you've ever seen. The virus lasts about 3-5 days - fun times! (She had this once before about a year ago which led to my worst parenting meltdown to date as I sobbed uncontrollably at the Elizabeth Pediatrics doctor's office on a Saturday morning because my child was so sick I thought she was going to die. So embarrasing. The doctor just kept handing me kleenex). Hopefully I won't have such a meltdown again. Obviously we won't be going to school on Friday. So, it'll be lots of smoothies from Smoothie King and some Backyardigans and cuddling until we're back on the mend.
It just wouldn't seem right to have a posting with no picture. Taken a year ago today. WHO IS THIS BABY!?!?!

5 comments:

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

oh Denise...I feel so bad...its not comfortable for them...but i swear its harder for us...we feel so bad for them...hopefully she will be better by this weekend so she can enjoy the 70 deg weather..yippy!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness. soo sorry! AHH! wish there was something we could do..can we? we'll be thinking about y'all! miss you today!
anne

Emilia said...

thanks ladies. i'm hoping she's better so we can at least get outside by the weekend! :)

Alicia and Morgan said...

We hope little Emi is feeling better!! Morgan so missed her this morning at gymnastics!! Please let me know if I can do anything, we've been there! Hugs to Emilia, get well soon!!

Unknown said...

aww emilia! love the new header pic. is that current?