Thursday, December 15, 2011

13.1

That’s the distance from uptown Charlotte, to South Park, through Myers Park & Dilworth, and back to uptown.

If you had told me, even 6 months ago, I would ever run.  I would have called you crazy.

Let alone that kind of distance.

But I did it… 13.1 miles.  A half marathon.  And no, I didn’t die, though at a couple of points during the actual race I thought I would.

I was supposed to start training in Quito.  But really, at that altitude, um, no.

I could barely breathe.

we cursed and swore that this was the worst idea ever.  My friend Cristin documented it all in this article.. of how a bunch of semi-in-shape-and-not-at-all-in-shape women one night on a dare decided running a half marathon would be a good idea.  It was May… we’d had a couple of cocktails… the race was in November… we could totally do this… right?

Then, suddenly, the weekend runs became longer.  A LOT longer.  And the date got closer.  A LOT closer.

photo-13

my early-morning-pre-race-picture.  lululemon leggings, my jellybeans, gum, and yes, a large bottle of ibuprofen (no, I didn’t actually bring it with me).

photo-12

a very blurry picture of the ‘electric lemonade’ girls… cristin, jenny, leigh, lindsay, kristi & amy.  those smiles were gone about 20 minutes after this picture was taken.

We did a great job… running at our own paces and in my case, dragging (literally at times) Kristi along with me because I refused to leave her behind (until the last mile when she said she was walking and I was like ‘girlfriend, I’ll see you at the finish line’).  We all finished and averaged anywhere between 10:30 and 13 minute miles (my best was early on…a 9:45 mile… apparently I was on crack at the time.. but I averaged out at about 11:40 a mile).

My girlfriend Anne said it best… something to the effect of, as moms… in particular stay-at-home moms, we need these kinds of challenges.  And it’s true.  Pushing myself to do this was scary but awesome and I ‘m so proud of my girls who overcame injuries, pregnancy, health issues, and general laziness to rock out this race. 

photo-11

post race +1… cristin’s husband.

And yes, we’re already making plans to do it again.

3 comments:

kate's corner said...

aw. tear. love this. so so very proud of you mrs. d (and your crew). looks like a fun bunch. this is good for the mama's soul.

kate's corner said...

ps it just occurred to me that krista did the blue ridge about the same time post her twins. feel like it was therapeutic for you two in that way. need yall to bond about it frankly.

a s t o n + s t e l l said...

DENISE!!! I've been waiting for this day for you for months!!!! way way big congrats...what an accomplishment for a mom of 3 under 4...so so proud to know you. i love that i can relate to how you feel now that you've done it... YAY!!!